What is Temporomandibular Disorders (TMDs)?
Temporomandibular disorders are disorders of the temporomandibular joints, jaw muscles, or nerves. Your temporomandibular joint allows your mouth to open and close and move all around. It is a complicated system of muscles, connective tissues, and the joint itself that serves an important function. Because of this, problems can easily arise, causing TMDs.
What causes TMDs?
Some possible causes include:
- Diseases that affect the muscles or joints, like arthritis
- Injury to the jaw joint or connective tissues
- Habitual movements of the teeth and jaws, like grinding or clenching
What are the symptoms for TMDs?
Signs and symptoms of TMDs can include:
- Pain in or around the ear
- Pain when chewing
- Tender jaw muscles
- Painful clicking or popping when opening or closing the jaw
- Difficulty opening or closing the mouth
- Tension, stress, and migraine headaches
- Jaw pain and pain in the temple region
- Facial pain and neck pain
What are some ways to treat the symptoms of TMDs?
There are several things you can try that might help:
- Eat softer foods
- Limit wide jaw movements
- Avoid chewing gum or biting down on anything hard
- Apply moist, warm compresses
- Wear a custom night guard, such as The POD®, to help decrease clenching and grinding of teeth during sleep.
What is The POD®?
The POD® is a unique, custom night guard made by your dentist and is designed specifically for you. It will treat TMJ/TMD symptoms while protecting the teeth from the destructive forces of clenching and grinding. It is FDA 510k cleared for the treatment of bruxism and TMD symptoms.
How does The POD® work?
Worn during sleep, the device serves to protect the teeth from the destructive forces of clenching and grinding and helps to alleviate the associated pain and headaches. By having the dental arches discluded, excessive wear of the teeth caused by clenching and grinding is reduced.
By utilizing patented Unilateral BiteBlock Technology®, the device can reduce bite forces while making more room for the tongue during sleep.